2008-08-20

Quick review of "Practical Django Projects"

James Bennett was nice enough to have Apress send me a free copy of his book 'Practical Django Projects' after a blogged asking for help on how best to learn Django. To be totally upfront about this, while James had me sent a free copy, he did not ask for a public review, and James offered me the copy, not his publisher.

I am happy with the book. I feel like I have a reasonable grasp now on what Django provides me and how to structure my site and apps so as to maximize Django's abilities. Granted, I do plan to use Google App Engine and thus a lot of the tricks with the models won't work for me, but thanks to the book I still plan to use Django for implementing views and control code (i.e., everything you can do without using Django's ORM) for my site.