2007-10-29

New Intel chipset have more L2 cache than my first IBM clone PC had RAM

I was reading the cover of Intel's new 45 nm Yorkfield processor at Ars Technica and I noticed that the thing has 12 MB of L2 cache. But what really registered with me is that the CPU's predecessor had 8 MB of L2 cache. Why did 8 MB register so much in my head?

Then I remember that my 386 DX ended its life with 8 MB (having started with 4 MB). I still remember being stressed out of my mind doing that RAM upgrade on my own. The case had the RAM in a bad place and I was scared out of my wits I was going to break my PC. I was in high school at the time and received the PC as a gift from my grandparents. There was no way my family could afford to replace it if I messed up.

But I mean geez! L2 caches match my first IBM clone PCs total RAM?!? I feel old and stodgy writing that sentence. =) I think this also shows that I have been in school for too long if this happened before I have fully entered the working world.

And in case anyone cares, my very first PC was an Apple II/c.