2006-12-29

Playing with my Nokia E70

Got my Nokia E70 that my mother was kind enough to buy me as a birthday/Xmas gift. And now that I got my laptop back I have started to play with it (sans Python programming as I am still trying to get the phone set up).

First thing was getting iSync to work with the phone. It is not supported by default, but there are instructions on how to add the config info yourself. It worked and now I have my contacts from Address Book on my phone, complete with photos (although it looks like there is a white border to add a shadow look to the thumbnail photos and it makes me keep thinking they are an improper size).

I then got all of the Google stuff I could. First off is Gmail provides two interfaces for mobile access; web and an app. Gmail for mobile app is okay. It looks slick compared to the mobile web version of Gmail, but it has issues with portrait mode (it doesn't place the option button labels in the right place when you flip open the keyboard). The mobile web version is fine and works well, but isn't as optimized for getting around as the application version. I think I am going to be using the app version but just launching it in portrait mode and constantly reminding myself that the label for the bottom option button is not the label sitting right next to it.

Google Maps for mobiles works very well. They even have support for satellite photos!

After this is just bookmarking the various apps that have a mobile edition. Obviously there is search (which has the handy feature of downgrading sites so they are smaller and fit better on a small screen). Google Reader has a mobile edition. There is also one for Google News. Unfortunately the Froogle mobile version is for WML and thus doesn't work with the browser. And I don't care about my personalized homepage for my mobile phone.

I think the biggest pain I have found with Google and its mobile situation is having to find out about all of its mobile applications on my own. While I found out but all of these either through Google Search's mobile version or from the products list, I still had to find out about Google Reader on my own along with Froogle. I wish they were all listed in a single location ala Google Software Downloads for Mac.

I have started to minimize my dependency on my cell phone provider for phone calls. I signed up with Truphone to make SIP calls through a WLAN connection. Works well enough, especially considering the calls are free to the US and Canada numbers through March. The only complaint I have is that if you try to make a SIP call and you are not connected to a access point it says you are not connected and then makes it after stopping your call. You then have to dial again. Plus it leaves you connected to the access point after your call, draining the batteries (they claim it cuts the standby time in half). I am watching now to see how bad the battery drain is to know if I will need to explicitly disconnected when I am done with the call to save battery life.

JAJAH Mobile does not support my phone yet. Once I have that, though, I will be able to make calls to the States for cheap through my cell phone carrier but as an incoming call, which is nice when you have unlimited incoming calls. =) Hopefully they will add support soon and let me really minimize how many calls I get charged for by my cell phone carrier.

I have not found a free Jabber client for use with Google Talk. There is a shareware app called IM+, but I just don't feel like buying an app for chatting on my phone when I don't think I will be doing it that often.

I was also planning on seeing what it would take to write up an app to control Keynote from my cell phone, but it looks like Salling Clicker can do everything I wanted my app to do, and without me having to code it! =) Plus it controls a whole bunch of other apps.

Anyway, so far the phone is great. Much better than my Motorola RAZR. And I can only imagine what is going to happen when I learn how to program this thing using Python!