2006-07-23

Current plan for web hosting, web dev, and bug tracking

I think I have settled on my whole web hosting/dev/etc. setup. If anyone ends up with a better suggestion, let me know. I have not signed up and paid for anything yet (but will be the end of the week at the *latest*).

For hosting, I am going with WebFaction. They have been supporters of open source Python projects and Richard Jones recommends them, so that's enough for me. Plus they are very clear about how many long-running processes you can run (which is important considering what I am planning to do).

Next, I am going to dev with Django. I am waiting for the MAGIC_REMOVAL branch to land in a release. I could run out of svn (the Django developers do), but I just don't feel the need to be that bleeding edge. Plus by using a standard release I can use WebFaction's control panel to handle the setup for everything.

For issue tracking, I am going to go with Roundup with its web server install and pysqlite backend. Should be enough to handle what I want for my todo list and any possible stuff I need an issue tracker for. Plus I can personally bug Richard for help. =)

Now, so far, that is two long-running processes: Django and Roundup. I could use Roundup in CGI mode, but I want to have the lowest barrier of entry possible for my todo list, so web server it is. And I am not doing static web development work anymore for my personal site since I have ridiculous aspirations for something that very few people will use.

Problem is that this does not provide me with a svn server. That would be long-running process #3. I could sacrifice Roundup's server process and go with a Trac/svn install, but I am honestly not interested in running Trac for myself (Roundup has the perk of a date field which I want and I know Richard personally, plus I like Roundup's docs more). So that means I would need to shell out the cash to run a third process for svn.

Or I can use an alternative SCM. Mercurial has gotten some buzz lately and I heard one of the main developers, Brian O'Sullivan talk at Google and spoke with him personally through email.
It sounds like a cool system. And a perk that it has is it contains CGI scripts for publishing repositories. And on top of that it has an SSH push command to upload changes so you don't need to involve HTTP if you don't need for a repository to be public. And I don't know if I even need a repository since I do have an external hard drive I back up to weekly and I can run Mercurial locally to track changes to files.

So, WebFaction/Django/Roundup/Mercurial is my current plan for hosting/web dev/issue tracking/SCM, all with only requiring two long-running processes.